This post is also available in: Español (Spanish)
Inside the hot spice mixes, the Garam Masala would occupy the first positions of any condiment ranking.
Spices play a fundamental role in the kitchen, as they give the dishes the final touch and enhance their aromas.
A well-stocked spice rack goes way beyond pepper and salt.
In European kitchens, exotic spices such as ginger, turmeric, cinnamon, oregano or cilantro are increasingly used.
Do you use these spices, but have you never heard of Garam Masala? Then, let us tell you about this wonderful Hindu spice.
How to prepare Garam Masala?
If you take a closer look at the ingredients of Garam Masala, you will discover that you already know almost all of its components and have probably even used many ingredients individually.
Garam Masala contains in different proportions:
- Black pepper
- They also usually add saffron or fennel, because as a mixture of spices, Garam Masala invites you to experiment.
We propose this mixture of ingredients.
First you need the following ingredients without grinding:
- four cinnamon sticks
- four tablespoons of coriander
- eight capsules of cardamom
- two tablespoons of black peppercorns
- two tablespoons of cumin
- a teaspoon of cloves
Now put all the spices in the pan.
You will have to roast them lightly and meanwhile you will enjoy the smell that will permeate the whole room; Once the spices have cooled, remove the cardamom grains from the capsules and place the grains with all the remaining spices in the mortar (if you want to save energy, you can also use the blender to obtain a fine powder).
Finally, half a teaspoon of nutmeg is mixed and your own seasoning mix is ready.
What is the Garam Masala?
Behind its exotic name, which actually comes from the Hindu, hides a mixture of spices.
This seasoning is universally used in Indian cuisine.
Originally, Masala is a generic term for Indian spice mixtures, which are mainly used to prepare curries.
Each Indian family has its own recipe for making Garam Masala.
The oldest or traditional mixtures contain spices that warm the body, a characteristic of Ayurvedic medicine, such as black cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, black pepper and cumin.
There are more modern mixtures that contain spices such as fennel or green cardamom that have a refreshing effect.
The choice of spices used determines the aroma of Garam Masala.
Sharpness is achieved by adding chili, it is also possible to add coriander or saffron seeds.
Unground ingredients are usually first roasted in a container, so essential oils and flavors are released and crushed after cooling in a mortar.
It is important to note that, in North India, spices are first roasted in the pan and then pulverized.
In the south of the country it is usually used as a mixture of pasty consistency.
There are three types of Masala mixes:
- Garam Masala: (mixture of spices that is heated, mainly for meat dishes)
- Chat Masala: (mix of fruit spices for salads, sauces or desserts)
- Tanduri Masala: (special mixture of spices for marinades)
Garam Masala is the best known mixture and, in fact, the only one that has made the leap in the pots and pans of Europe.
Properties of Garam Masala
The Garam Masala not only provides flavor to food, but also has antibacterial properties, can stimulate blood circulation, improve digestion and is appreciated, among other things, for its aphrodisiac effect.
Cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg are responsible for this. Taking its scent, our brain backs the gears and conveys a warm and relaxing feeling.
We just feel good and we feel with all our senses.
If you do not feel well or if a gray day prevents you from feeling happy and motivated, then the cardamom in Garam Masala can make you feel better quickly; The secret of this spice is that it works as a tonic for the brain and contains psychoactive substances.
Where to buy Garam Masala?
If you want to buy Garam Masala as a finished product, you will not have any problem, since the spice mix is available all year round.
The first option when buying should be in online food retail stores, since they have a wide variety of supplies at a competitive price.
So it would be a good idea to buy Garam Masala on Amazon.
In addition, it has the benefit of sending the order to your home with great efficiency. It is also possible to find this mixture of Indian spices at Walmart, Carrefour or natural food stores.
For the Garam Masala to maintain its intensity for as long as possible, the spice mixture must be packed in a flavor can and stored in a safe place against moisture.
When properly stored, the spice mixture lasts approximately three months without sacrificing quality.
Uses of Garam Masala in the kitchen
Garam Masala is the most intense mixture of the masala family mentioned above; Therefore, the mixture of spices is an excellent option for:
- Dishes with meat. The spice is roasted in hot fat and added to the meat dish at the end of the cooking process.
- To naturalize its flavor, it makes sense to experiment with vegetables such as carrots, celery, peppers or zucchini.
- Exotic soups can be refined and topped with Garam Masala. It is advantageous if the spice mixture is added only towards the end of the cooking time. Since the seasoning already contains a pinch of salt, you should consider this when seasoning the soup.
- Garam Masala harmonizes well with birds. You can also make a marinade with yogurt and oil and then bake the chicken in the oven.
- An intense flavor experience is also waiting for you, if you add the spice mixture to your tea. The drink acquires a very intense and exotic flavor.
Recipes with Garam Masala
We have already brought you some suggestions for using the spice mix; now follow two recipe suggestions, which you can easily imitate:
Garam Masala Vegetarian Recipes
cauliflower with yogurt sauce
For four servings you need:
- a medium cauliflower
- three carrots
- an organic lemon
- a spoonful of garam masala
- three tablespoons of butter
- bunch of scallions
- a pinch of turmeric
- large cup of whole milk yogurt.
Step by Step
- First, wash and clean the vegetables and divide the cauliflower into practical florets. Carrots cut into thin strips. The lemon is also cut and the chives are cut.
- Now put the cauliflower in boiling water with a little salt and turmeric and cook for about ten minutes. Half of the lemon slices also go to the pot.
- The cooked roses are now sautéed in butter and then heated.
- Now the Garam Masala together with the yogurt are mixed in the pan. Then let it cool.
- Then pour the cauliflower with the yogurt sauce and decorate your plate with chives, carrots and the rest of the lemon slices.
Garam Masala Recipes with white meat
Receive friends and family with this delicious dish.
For three portions you need:
- three chicken breasts
- a tomato
- 125 ml of natural yogurt
- four teaspoons of olive oil
- Four capsules of green cardamom.
- a large onion
- two fingers of garlic
- a cinnamon stick
- spoonful of ginger
- teaspoon of cumin
- spoonful of paprika powder
- teaspoon of tomato sauce
- teaspoon of garam masala
- a little cayenne pepper
- 110 ml of water
Step by Step
- The chicken breasts are cut into small pieces and salted.
- Now make a paste of garlic, ginger and the other spices.
- This spice paste is added to the greased onions and left to stand for about a minute.
- After that, mix ketchup and diced tomatoes and add water.
- Now add the chicken pieces and let them simmer for about a quarter of an hour.
- Towards the end of the cooking time, yogurt is added.
You can serve rice in a traditional way; the dish also tastes good with potatoes.
Now we hope we have clarified something about the benefits of Garam Masala and wish you much pleasure with this intensive and versatile blend of spices, which not only provides flavorful details, but also makes our body well.
The mixture of spices from the north of India has a long history, its roots are in Ayurvedic medicine.
Spices play an important role there and there are subdivisions of the effect of spices on the human body.
In this particular composition, all its ingredients have a warming effect on our body.
In the Middle Ages, exotic spices were virtually unattainable for Europeans due to the long and complicated transportation routes.
The Indians, on the other hand, were able to make the most of their time and experiment with the Garam Masala much earlier.
The recipes for the elaboration of Garam Masala are passed on to families for generations and strictly kept.
According to Indian tradition, the spice must be prepared and used at the time according to the respective dish.
Under no aspect should the mixture be prepared for storage in a can or spice mill.